Saturday, July 16, 2011

How do I get my dogs used to each other?

Ok, we got a chow chow mix from the humane society yesterday, and my dogs still won't play with her. I have two other dogs, one male and one female. The female won't play with her, but isn't growling at her anymore. The male is doing the thing with her where they circle around each other while sniffing each other, but if she gets near his face or tries to play with him he growls at her. How long does it usually take to get a new dog acquainted with the dogs that were already in the house? Is there anything I can do to expedite the process? I'm also afraid that my dogs shunning her and growling at her can cause her to become aggressive to other dogs/animals, and maybe to people. Are these fears legitimate? My aunt lives next door with 3 friendly dogs and her sons unfriendly one. I'm going to wait until her son moves out (it shouldn't be too long) and then I'm going to take her over there to play with the friendly dogs to keep her socialized. In the mean time, I'm trying to keep her exposed to as many people daily as I can. We took her to the vet today and she was fine with everybody and let a stranger pet her. My grandpa says the male dog is only trying to assert his dominance and that he will be less aggressive once he feels he's done that. I don't know if that is correct or not. Anyhow, we haven't had her for even 24 hours yet; we got her at 3:00 pm yesterday. I'm not sure of her age, the people at the humane society said 4 months, then 6 months, and the vet said under 4 months because she doesn't have any adult teeth growing in yet. The male dog is around a year old or so. The female is between 3-5 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment